Thursday, April 28, 2011

I almost feel like a farmer

Can I say that yet?

It occurred to me as we were raking the chili's. Some of the seeds are deeper than we anticipated. If we didn't want to lose part of the crop, we needed to rake off the extra dirt.


So we raked. And raked. And raked.

When we spied baby chili's breaking through the top soil we cheered and took pictures.


When we spied ladybugs, we cheered and blessed them to multiply.


And we've kept raking. We walk the chili rows each day, pulling weeds, raking when necessary, mowing the too-tall wheat, monitoring the soil moisture, killing snakes (egads!), praying over our little field and joining the throng of farmers around the world praying for rain.

I almost don't recognize myself in all my farmer's tan glory.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Auntie Jen,

    I so wish I was there to see the Baby Chili Peppers peeking up, and to help you rake, and to play with Lady Bugs! And good news, my arms and legs seem to be developing appropriately, so if I could just pop out and greet the world, I'd run to help you! (Although you might need to hold my head up for me, which could make things challenging...)

    I'm sorry I've kept Mommy so busy of late...she's been rather preoccupied with her porcelain throne, as she calls it. And then with something about bulging L4/L5 discs. Maybe you guys should get together and talk about your discs, discing, disco, etc.

    By any chance will you be in Houston around May 14th? Mommy would like to squeeze you, if possible.

    Can't wait to meet you in person - I love you!

    Your Little NIECE Crim ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've earned all farmer bragging rights!!

    ReplyDelete