Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hooray for poop

I've never been so excited about poop in my life. Okay, okay, we'll call it organic compost from here on out to sound less gross.

This is the delivery system. It took two guys a 12+ hour day to get it all put out.


Then Nathan and I alternated driving a spring-tooth harrow behind the compost tractor to help cover up the freshly laid manure. (The winds were a'threatenin to blow away all those blessed nutrients.) This guy folded the compost into the dirt.


But my favorite part of the day was when the a/c in Big John went out. You know, the a/c we just had fixed while he was in the shop. Let me explain.

I was driving the tractor this afternoon. It's something like 100 degrees outside. I hit a bump and Big John stalls. After re-starting the tractor neither the a/c nor the radio works. Frustrated though I was, I just opened the windows and kept going.

Nathan arrives about an hour later back at the field. He joins me in the tractor and I explain what's happened. The man gets hot. I mean like angry hot.

Trust me: You'd be hot too if you'd just spent the small fortune we did to get Big John repaired. It was either pay for his repairs or buy a mid-sized car. Totally not exaggerating. There goes next Christmas's bonus too.

So Nathan is hot and he kicks the tractor. Hard. In the steering wheel console.

And then the wildest thing happens.

The a/c and the radio come back on.

Just like that.

I stare at my magician of a husband in disbelief. So kicking it does work?!! All this time I thought that was just the stuff of movies.

Another note to self: Apparently, it's all a matter of where you kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment