Monday, May 23, 2011

Shift change

The first day of plowing we did together, seated side by side, learning the nuances of a new tractor. We had a blast working together.


Then it was just time to get the work done. So we split up into shifts. Nathan taking nights and me the days. Or parts of days rather. (There are still other things besides plowing to get done, if you can believe that.)

The changing of the guard.


Nathan is doing the lion's share. I just relieve him so he can cat nap between plowing marathons. So very thankful for this man's work ethic (and a working tractor). You can't fake that out here. The field either gets plowed or doesn't.

Pape tells me my grandfather did the same thing back in 1952 to break out his land. Add this to the list of things I didn't really understand until it became my own reality.

2 comments:

  1. I love that first picture! You guys are working hard and it's paying off. Night shift? How many hours a day are y'all plowing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try for all 24. But we lose an hour here and there for eating and napping.

    ReplyDelete