Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 137 of my rural education

Received my first lesson last night in mechanized milking. Buttercup was a great sport about my photographing her hindquarters.


The thing that's given me most pause about having our own milking cow is the twelve-hour tether. Buttercup has to be milked every twelve hours whether you want to go to town for dinner or leave for a three-day jaunt to the mountains.

It's one thing to board a dog. It's an entirely different matter to find a babysitter for your cow.

Buttercup's fine family found a great solution. They share milking responsibilities between more than one family. So each person only milks about twice a week: once at 6am and once at 6pm.

For this to work for us, we're apparently gonna have to give birth to quintuplets.

Editor's note: It has come to my attention that I was terribly unclear regarding Buttercup's fine family. We do not belong to her or any other cow. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment