Friday, June 3, 2011

Modest plans

When we began this adventure back in February I sketched out modest plans for our first family garden. Something along these lines:


Just a few square immaculately-manicured plots to sustain us through most of the year. No pesticides. Only organic practices to feed our family.

Maybe a few imaginatively-pruned trees.


Certainly a topiary sprinkled here and there.


How hard could it be?

I can hear my parents snickering from nine hours away.

In our abundance of spare time, after fighting off rodents and hogs in the chili peppers and pulling weeds until our hamstrings are as tight as guitar strings, this is my crowning achievement.


Three tiny succulents, chosen because they're drought hardy when neglected for long stretches of time. Not exactly my romantic notion of what our first family garden would be.

Perhaps next year. In a greenhouse. After a good dousing of Roundup.

No comments:

Post a Comment