Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The scraper

While Nathan is busy bulldozing, I've been tasked with scraping. Meet the scraper.


Now it's not a thing of beauty, but it does a tremendous job hauling sand.

It's hard to tell from the following photo but there is a ginormous sand dune we need to relocate in preparation for future grapevines. And by ginormous I mean something like 15+ feet high and 20+ feet wide.


So Big John and I pull the scraper along the dune, picking up as much sand as possible and then hauling it out to a low spot that needs to be filled.

It is, at times, a harrowing task as Big John is wider than the path itself. Let's just say there are seat belts and roll over cabs in tractors for a reason.


More than once I've gotten stuck on the off ramp, needing the bulldozer to pull us through our homemade sandpit.


All in all, it's actually not a bad way to spend a day--or several weeks, in my case. But it sure does make one wish for a cup holder.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, I am in awe of you all. I'm in awe of the photography. The gadgets. The views. Your tasks. Your silly sense of humor as you caption the photos... You rock. And every time I read your posts I'm the happier for it. A huge ol' high five from way over here in the Blue Ridge to you all in the flatlands far away. :-) Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Les, coming from one of the very finest editors and writers I know, that means a whole heck of a lot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete